Nowadays, with all the pet food recalls, you must be careful what you feed your beloved pet. Dogs are part of the family and should be cared for just like you would care for your children. Baking your own dog treats is a sure way to be safe with what you are feeding your dog. You’ll know exactly what is in the treat and you can customize the ingredients to suit your dogs special needs.
Feed your Dog Treats That are Healthy & made with Love The best way to do this is to browse book stores or even pet stores and find recipe books geared toward our best friend.
I have been baking my own healthy dog treats for over six years and I have found that it is more economical than buying store bought. The instructions for each recipe is simple to follow and the ingredients are easy to find, in fact you probably already have most in your kitchen.
You can easily find recipes for treats that will give your dog whiter healthier teeth to biscuits that keep your dog free from fleas, plus many more.
Please be aware that not all human food is good for your dog. I have included a list of what I consider to be the top ten foods that could seriously harm your dog.
1. Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine: Can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous system.
2. Citrus oil extracts: Can cause severe vomiting.
3. Grapes and raisins: Can cause damage to the kidneys.
4. Macadamia nuts: Can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscles.
5. Onions (raw, cooked, or powder): Can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
6. Mushrooms: contains toxins, which can affect multiple systems, resulting in shock, which may cause death.
7. Yeast dough: Can expand in the digestive system producing gas, causing pain and possible rupture of stomach or small intestines.
8. Sugary foods: Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.
The last two I don’t think you would knowingly feed to your dog, but accidents do happen.
9. Tobacco, Marijuana: Can affect the digestive and nervous systems, causing vomiting, rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
10. Alcohol: Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Remember that a happy dog is a healthy dog so treat them well and they will treat you well in return.